Restaurant service school
The start of “Restorānu servisa skola” dates back to 1933 when it was a separate department of “”Turība” University”. At that time the school’s goals and ambitions were very far from the reality that was achieved later on.
Times changed and with them also the meaning and role of chefs and public servants in society – nowadays a chef’s work is admired and respected and the work of public servants in restaurants is no longer considered as something that doesn’t require any kind of qualification – professional, educated, erudite and experienced waiters, bartenders and managers are working at the best restaurants, cafés etc.
Since 2002 “Restorānu servisa skola” is an independent educational institution. The school was led by Dacīte Bārda and Jāzeps Arbidāns until 2013 when they passed the torch to a graduate of the school – chef Māris Astičs.
To this day more than a thousand food service specialists have graduated from our school and a big part of them are already well-known chefs, restaurant managers or owners.
THE MOTTO OF "RESTORĀNU SERVISA SKOLA":
"The best cookbook is being in the kitchen!"
THE MISSION OF "RESTORĀNU SERVISA SKOLA":
Our mission is to raise the prestige of the chef’s profession and the overall industry, also to raise the quality of the education in this field and to provide the best opportunities for our students and their professional growth.
THE VISION OF "RESTORĀNU SERVISA SKOLA":
To gradually make “Restorānu servisa skola” known as the most prestigious institute of professional education in Latvia and the best culinary school in the Baltics, where you have internationally appreciated teachers and chefs offering a modern, practical, useful and high quality education.
OBJECTIVES OF "RESTORĀNU SERVISA SKOLA":
- Prepare professionals of the highest level to work in the best restaurants both in Latvia and abroad.
- Provide students with the opportunity to study not only from local specialists but also from professionals from other countries.
- Use only the best equipment, products and literature in the process of studying.
- Collaborate with well-known and reliable partners to ensure the highest quality learning environment and the best culinary internship opportunities for students.
- Provide professional growth opportunities for both students and teachers by supporting their participation in various competitions and projects.
- Develop new educational programs in consultation with Riga’s leading restaurants to prepare the necessary professionals in the field.
- Bring awareness to Latvia’s culinary heritage by updating and adapting it to modern trends.
In 2016 after many years of hard work as a manager of “Restorānu servisa skola” not only has head chef Māris Astičs made a huge contribution to the development of the school but he also has come to a successful realization of a long awaited project – opening restaurant “Ferma”.
Restaurant “Ferma” includes only the best local products of the highest quality in the menu that way offering restaurant guests to try out dry aged beef from Latvia (made specially just for us), wild venison, Baltic salmon, shrimp grown in Latvia, as well as Latvia’s Culinary Heritage.
“Food for the people”- that’s how Māris himself describes the concept of the restaurant – not too expensive but high quality food made by using local products.
Restaurant team (restaurant manager Jānis Viļumovs, sommelier Agnese Meiersone, bartender Alvins Matisāns etc.) – some of the best professionals in the field with many years of experience are committed not only to promote the popularity and good name of the restaurant by pleasing it's clients but also to take part in further development of “Restorānu servisa skola”, sharing their knowledge with the students.